I make my home in Orange County, California so I figured I would share some of our local haunts. While Orange County, California is known for its beautiful beaches, affluent neighborhoods, Disneyland, and orange groves, it also has a few places that are rumored to be haunted. Here are a few places that have gained reputations as haunted locations in Orange County:
- Rancho Los Alamitos – This historic ranch in Long Beach is said to be haunted by the ghost of a former resident, Fred H. Bixby. Visitors and staff have reported hearing unexplained footsteps and seeing apparitions.
- Yorba Cemetery – Located in Yorba Linda, this cemetery is one of the oldest in Orange County. It’s rumored to be haunted, with stories of ghostly apparitions and strange occurrences.
- The Hacienda – Located in Santa Ana, this historic building is now a restaurant called The Hacienda. It’s said to be haunted by the ghost of a young girl who reportedly died there. Visitors and employees have reported hearing laughter and footsteps when no one else is around.
- Black Star Canyon – This remote canyon in the Santa Ana Mountains has a reputation for being haunted. It’s been the site of various urban legends and ghost stories, including tales of a “hanging tree” and encounters with ghostly figures.
- Queen Mary – While technically in Long Beach, the Queen Mary is a famous haunted location just south of Orange County. This retired ocean liner turned hotel is known for its alleged paranormal activity, including sightings of apparitions and unexplained sounds.
- Harvey’s Steakhouse – Located in Huntington Beach, this restaurant is said to be haunted by a former chef named Domenico, who reportedly died on the property. Employees and patrons have reported hearing his footsteps and experiencing other paranormal phenomena.
- Old Orange County Courthouse – Located in Santa Ana, this historic courthouse is rumored to be haunted by various spirits. It’s a popular spot for ghost hunters and paranormal enthusiasts.
The stories associated with these local haunts are an integral part of our local folklore. The experiences people have had at these locations vary greatly. If you’re interested in exploring these places, please respect any posted rules and private property boundaries. Additionally, it’s always a good idea to be mindful of the history and significance of these locations, whether or not you believe in their haunted reputations.